01 August 2010

WEEK THIRTY-ONE - 'THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES' & 'DIRT MUSIC

'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd
July 26 - 27, 374 pages

I really liked this book. It was great. Quite refreshing. And very different from what one would expect from a book set in the south of America in 1964. It was sad, but had some funny lines: "You put his brain in a bird, and the bird would fly backward" and 'Sometimes you want to fall on your knees and thank God in heaven for all the poor news reporting that goes on in the world.'
And didn't I learn a lot about bees!

'Dirt Music' by Tim Winton
July 29 - 31, 461 pages

It was good. I do like Winton. He's honest and comfortable at the same time. I still prefer 'Cloudstreet' though. But a good book, and I like the way Winton creates characters with so much complexity. He sold Broome to me as well, I really want to go!

Okay I'll admit it: part of the fun in reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' was imagining them all speaking in their South Carolinian accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment