09 August 2010

WEEK THIRTY-TWO - 'A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'

'A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare' by James Shapiro
August 2 - 8, 333 pages


I love reading about Shakespeare just as much as I love reading his plays. I think that part of what makes him so interesting for me is not just his genius, but how we know so little about him. Still, today, even what the Bard from Avon looks like is speculation.


But moving right along. I was very impressed by the depth of research gone into this book. And not only that but how much that research told us about Shakespeare's sources and inspiration. I also was very interested to learn more of the world in which Shakespeare lived. A good read; heavy at times.


And imagine a year when he wrote Henry V, Julius Caesar, As You Like It and Hamlet. What a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment