10 July 2010

WEEK TWENTY-EIGHT - 'BREATH'

'Breath' by Tim Winton
July 7 - 8, 247 pages

I like Winton. I like the way that he writes. I like the intensity, the power but also how casual it is.

I thought it was brought together well ,this novel, but I still much prefer 'Cloudstreet'. The passion was still there, though. I could really feel the way that the narrator loved, needed to surf: 'we'd left the ordinary in our wake.'

Yes. I think I enjoyed this. It got a little strange at times but had some excellent passages. In particular: '... more than a rebellion against the monotony of drawing breath ... breath upon breath upon breath in an endless capitulation to biological routine.' 

I just love it when you find a passage with a clever link to the title in a novel. It reminded me of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' or 'The Catcher in the Rye'

No comments:

Post a Comment