21 February 2010

WEEK EIGHT - 'A TALE OF TWO CITIES'

 
'A Tale of Two Cities' by Charles Dickens
 February 15 - 20, 382 pages

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..." Oh how I wish I had the space here to write out that quote in full. Best opening line ever. I love Dickens, and I'm sure that most people who know me can vouch for that. He's great. I love that he always says something, and he really says it well; every part of speech reinforces the message. Plus, he's very funny - "'If those eyes of yours were bed-winches,' returned Miss Pross, 'and I was an English four-poster, they wouldn't lose a splinter of me.'" This novel was exciting, jam-packed with action from the French Revolution. I was interested in the ideas of life and death, and being "Recalled to Life" sometimes, as with Sydney Carton, at death (hey! I can now open with the first line and finish with the last!) - "'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I ever have done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I ever have known.'" 

I really enjoyed exploring London and Paris during this exciting time in history. This really is the quintessential commentary of the French Revolution. "The leprosy of unreality disfigured every human creature in attendance upon Monseigneur."

I struggle to think of many feelings better than that of having a Dickens in your hand and a comfortable place to sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment